Upstairs we have a fun demo table with lots of samples of thee games we carry. A recent addition to our demos is a game of addition, subtraction, multiplication… etc. We like MathDice by ThinkFun for its ease of play and competitiveness. To start out, you roll the two 12-sided dice and multiply the numbers together to get a target number. This is the number everyone must try and get. Then, roll three other dice, and each of the numbers there are scoring numbers. You must use the scoring numbers to get the target number, or as close to it as possible. You can use any combination of these operations that work: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, powers, and roots.
Here’s an example:
- We roll the 12-sided die and get 7 and 4, making the target number 28.
- We roll the 6-sided dice and get 5, 2, and 3 for scoring numbers.
- We work out our equations. (in our heads if playing competitively, or on paper if just doing it for the sake of learning)
- These are the possibilities we came up with:
- So, the last equation wins!
There are other rules, but you’ll have to come in and play to find them out.
This game is great because it teaches equations to kids in a more realistic setting. It also is good for older age groups because it keeps your brain thinking creatively. Teachers and parents alike want this game.
There is also MathDice Jr., a simpler version to get the younger kids excited about math.